The death occurred at North Wangaratta on Saturday of Mr Henry CHARLTON, an old and respected resident of the district, and one of the army of pioneers who arrived in Victoria in the early fifties. The deceased was born at St. John's, New Brunswick, in British North America, where as a young man he was employed in a sawmill and as a rough carpenter. The stories of the gold discoveries in Australia encouraged him to emigrate, and he arrived in Melbourne on New Year's Day in 1853, the late Mr Christopher DOCKENDORFF being a shipmate and for some years afterwards a working partner in various contracts. Mr CHARLTON and a number of his shipmates hurried off to the Ovens diggings as soon as possible, but deceased did not remain long, and returned to Williamstown, where he and a partner worked as lightermen. Then excitement arose over the Buckland discoveries, and Mr CHARLTON once more tried his luck at gold-digging; but again with only partial success. The main Sydney road was at that time being constructed, and Mr CHARLTON was one of a syndicate of eight who were the successful tenderers for the construction of the old arched bridge over the Ovens River at Wangaratta. Deceased worked there for several months, and also took a hand in the formation of the main road as far down as Winton. A great deal of the stone carted in to form the principal street in Wangaratta was put in place by Mr CHARLTON. In 1857, having decided to begin farming, he purchased a number of 22 acre blocks at North Wangaratta from the late Rev. Joseph DOCKER and Lindsay BROWN, and here he remained to the end of his days, working hard and with much success as a settler on the land. He also undertook various contracts from time to time, and did a good deal of excellent work for the North Ovens Shire Council. He became a prosperous farmer, and reared a large family of sons and daughters who are now grown-up and well-known members of the district in which the old pioneer passed the greater portion of his life. Twelve months since deceased began to show the first signs of break-up, but he had a very hardy constitution, and was fairly active until four weeks since. The death of Mrs CHARLTON a few months ago seriously affected him. Dr BOYES was consulted, but deceased's end was approaching, and death took place on Saturday in his 79th year. The late Mr CHARLTON never sought public appointments, but he always took a lively interest in public movements, and anything that tended to improve the district had his active support. Members of his family who survive him are Messrs William, Charles, Samuel and Robert CHARLTON, Mrs BOWDITCH, of Euroa, and five other daughters. His remains were interred in the Wangaratta cemetery on Sunday afternoon, Mr T IRVING conducting the funeral, while the burial service was read by Captain CRAIG, of the Salvation Army, of which sect deceased was a member of late years.

We wish to thank Kaye Patterson. for kindly preparing the above transcript.